Tuesday, October 11, 2011

You Have To Start With The Beginning...


My name is Steve and I am a recovering FIRED EMPLOYEE.  On December 2, 2010, I was fired/terminated/contract not renewed (choose one) by my employer of over 14 years. 

As in most life changing events (and after 14 years of working with the same company, I considered termination from the company “LIFE CHANGING!”) I was a little taken aback, and as you can imagine, had that look on my face that showed more than just a little concern.  (Looking back, shame on me for not having a network already in place that I could turn to for support!)  

When I took a second to catch my breathe, I looked at this life changing event as an opportunity – an opportunity to change my habits, to change my thinking, and to change my way of going about my professional life.   I looked at the business trends, picked up a few books, (one that stood out was “4 Steps To Building Your Future” by Dan Schawbel) and began preparing/creating the next opportunity which would include social media.  Enter #LeadershipChat, and my entrée into the social network called TWITTER.  

Sure, I had a Twitter account, @SPGONZ, and had sent out a few tweets (less than a 100) to several associates.  My tweets focused on poking fun at others in my small circle and reminding myself not to take life too seriously.  Being a big fan of self improvement and leadership, I had read in Schwabel’s book that one of the best ways to utilize social media is to become part of a group, and build a network of people with similar interests and talents.  It was at that time that I discovered #LeadershipChat.  And Tuesday nights have never been the same!  (Typing a 140 characters or less to get a comment in during a Tuesday Night Group Session on #LeadershipChat is definitely an art form!) 

For having never been a part of social network group before, I am fortunate that my first experience was with #LeadershipChat.  Yes, I have heard and experienced that there is a lot of flash and no substance in the social network world.  (Heck, there is a lot of flash and no substance in the REAL WORLD!)  With #LeadershipChat, the substance is not only in the conversation that happens every Tuesday night, but more importantly, in the interaction after Tuesday night.  The knowledge, the insight, the experiences shared by the #LeadershipChat community has been invaluable as I continue to reinvent myself.  As I mentioned to someone one day who didn’t understand my enthusiasm over Twitter and #LeadershipChat, when would I have gotten the chance to meet and learn from Lisa in Chicago, Lou from Boston, Steve from New York,  and Ted from Florida. (And that is just a small sample.  There are many many more!) 

And while I won’t say #LeadershipChat is the only group I follow, I will say it was the first group I followed, and I am forever grateful.  Happy One Year Anniversary #LeadershipChat, looking forward to many more Tuesday Nights of non stop tweets, and lots of cannoli! 

One final note…what better way to mark one anniversary than by starting a new one…The first post of The Office With A View.   
(Look for my first interview with the Pete Berol,  the Executive Director of Direct Marketing At Eastern University.  And one heckuva leader.)

2 comments:

  1. And we're glad you've been a part of it, Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,

    I can't thank you enough for such beautiful and supportive words about Leadership Chat! More importantly, I'm honored to know that the chat came along at the right time for you, and has really resonated with you. That's the whole mission for Steve and I right there - that it adds value for you as a leader in the real-world.

    I'm thrilled to have you as part of the Leadership Chat Community - it simply would not be the same without you.

    Thank you from the bottom of my heart - your post means the absolute world to me! Hugs to you my friend - see you tonight,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete